We’re always keen to hear from anyone who is interested in setting up a new club, running a league and/or tournament, or otherwise participating in touch in England so we can offer support and assistance to get you started. Please contact us at email@example.com
Membership of England Touch is available to individuals, clubs, leagues, and events under the following categories:
• Individuals: Player, Coach, Referee, Medical, Combined, One-off, Overseas
• Clubs: Full Club, School/University Club, O2 Touch Club
Membership offers numerous benefits, including public liability and professional indemnity insurance, and is required to participate in many forms of touch activity in England. Insurance is absolutely vital to protect the interests of all our members.
Full details of the requirements, benefits, prices, and how to register are explained below. If you have any questions having read this information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Membership of England Touch is required under the following circumstances:
• Individual membership
○ Player: To play in MWTC, CTS, NTS, and Touch Nationals competitions; to participate in an Elite (national representative) team, along with any other ‘England Touch hosted event’.
○ Coach: To be head or assistant coach to a Touch Nationals or Elite team. Must be a qualified coach (ETA Community Coaching Course and above) for insurance to be valid.
○ Referee: To be a full-time referee (not a player-referee) at MWTC, CTS, NTS, Touch Nationals, or Elite competitions. Must be a qualified referee (Touch Europe Referee Level 1 and above) for insurance to be valid.
○ Medical: To provide medical / physio cover for MWTC, CTS, NTS, and Touch Nationals competitions and for Elite teams. Must have a BSc degree, or above, in physiotherapy or sports therapy and must also hold an in-date sports trauma qualification for insurance to be valid.
○ Combined: For two or more of the above categories
○ One-off: To participate in just one MWTC, CTS or NTS one-day event
○ Overseas: To play in a MWTC, CTS or NTS competition if not resident in the UK
• Full Club membership
○ To participate in any MWTC, (national DTS), CTS, NTS, or other competition run by England Touch
○ Not required in 2016 for regional-only DTS tournaments
• School/University Club membership
○ As for Full Club membership, at a reduced rate for student clubs based at educational establishments
○ To participate in UTS competitions
• O2 Touch Club membership
○ For RFU O2 Touch Base clubs to be registered on England Touch’s Where to Play database
○ Insurance is provided independently through the RFU, not England Touch
○ Does not permit entry into any national MWTC, DTS, CTS, NTS, or other England Touch hosted competition
• League membership
○ For England Touch Individual or Club members to be able to participate in your league
○ One membership is required per venue operated
• Event membership
○ For England Touch Individual or Club members to be able to participate in your one-off event
○ If you are an affiliated Club wishing to run an event, this is covered under your existing Club membership
Unaffiliated leagues and events:
• England Touch supports English clubs, players, and officials taking part in touch tournaments throughout the UK and worldwide, but you should take care to ensure that the competitions in which you participate are affiliated to the relevant National Touch Association (England Touch in England)
• Taking part in unaffiliated event is against Federation of International Touch (FIT) policy and could result in clubs, players, or officials being banned from future England Touch and/or FIT-affiliated events
• Please be aware of the consequences of participating in unaffiliated competitions; if you are unsure, always ask first
• Further information on unaffiliated competitions can be found here.
• Individual membership:
○ Player/Coach/Referee/Medical: £15
○ Combined: £15 for the first category, £5 for each additional category
○ Student (under 23 years old in full-time education): 33% discount on full price
○ One-off: £5
○ Overseas: £15
• Full Club membership:
○ £125 for clubs with 0-20 club members without an England Touch individual membership
○ £250 for clubs with 21-40 club members without an England Touch individual membership
○ £375 for clubs with 41-60 club members without an England Touch individual membership
○ £500 for clubs with 61-80 club members without an England Touch individual membership
○ £625 for clubs with 81+ club members without an England Touch individual membership
E.g. If your club has 45 members and 30 of these have England Touch Individual memberships (required to participate in many England Touch competitions) then your club membership cost is based on your 15 (45-30) club members without England Touch Individual memberships; £125 in this case. If your club has 45 members and none have England Touch Individual memberships, then your club membership cost is £375, based on all 45 club members.
• School/University Club membership: £80
• O2 Touch Club membership: £0
• League membership: £20 per team entered in the largest league of the year. One membership per venue operated.
• Event membership: £20 per team entered
The pricing structure is fixed for 2016, but this is reviewed regularly to ensure it is fair for all; amendments may be made for future years
• Individual and Club memberships are valid for one year from the date first taken out / renewed
• Existing members will receive a renewal reminder email four weeks before their existing membership expires. You do not need to renew or re-register until this point.
• If you have an existing individual membership and want to upgrade it to add another category (e.g. from player to combined player and coach) or if you wish to purchase additional insurance add-ons, please contact Insure4Sport on 0800 158 5530 with your existing membership number to hand.
• League memberships are invoiced annually, Event memberships are invoiced as required
• All applications for membership of the England Touch are governed by the Constitution, Regulations and By Laws of England Touch
• It is your responsibility to ensure you qualify for membership under the criteria set by England Touch
Please follow the below links to register your England Touch membership:
*Clubs will also be asked to submit the following information about their club members after registering: name, date of birth, sex, email address, ETA membership number (where applicable)
Membership of England Touch brings many benefits, summarised below.
IND: Applicable to all Individual membership categories except One-off and Overseas
CLB: Applicable to Full Club and School/University Club membership categories
O2C: Applicable to O2 Touch Club membership
LGE: Applicable to League membership
EVT: Applicable to Event membership
• Insurance and welfare cover
○ Public Liability cover up to £5 million [IND*, CLB, LGE, EVT]
○ Professional Indemnity cover up to £5 million [IND*, CLB, LGE, EVT]
○ Optional Personal Accident, Loss of Earnings, and Equipment insurance can be added to your policy at additional cost [IND*, CLB]
○ Optional extension to worldwide cover can be added to your policy at additional cost [IND*, CLB]
○ DBS costs included in club membership [CLB]
○ Reduced-cost DBS checks for coaches & organisers associated with players under 18 and vulnerable adults [IND-Coach]
* Individual-Coach, Individual-Referee, and Individual-Medical members are only covered if they have an England Touch recognised coach, referee, or medical qualification, respectively
• Have your say
○ Representation within England Touch as a member with voting rights at the AGM [CLB, LGE]
○ Direct involvement in shaping the future of Touch in England [IND, CLB, O2C, LGE]
○ Input into the sport’s development in Europe and around the world [IND, CLB, O2C, LGE]
• Promotion opportunities [CLB, O2C, LGE, EVT]
○ Recognition of your touch operation on England Touch’s Where to Play database
○ Ability to promote as an affiliated operation and attract players / referees with an open and clear development pathway
○ Promotion and marketing of club activities / events on the England Touch website, social media channels, newsletter, etc.
• Participation and development opportunities
○ Involvement in the National / Challenge / Development Touch Series, University Touch Series, in which only those registered have the opportunity to part of (subject to conditions) [IND, CLB]
○ Involvement in the Touch Nationals tournaments and England representation in which only those registered have the opportunity to part of (subject to conditions) [IND]
○ Priority access and reduced cost to courses organised by the ETA and outside companies, including relevant CPD training (subject to qualifying conditions) [IND]
○ Access to development days, education pathways, coursework, and specialist coaching days provided by England Touch and our relationship with EFT, FIT, TFA and TNZ [IND, CLB, O2C, LGE]
○ Development officers at national and local levels to engage with schools, rugby development officers and others to help aid understanding of touch and how it can help achieve aims for inclusion and physical activity. Better awareness leads to increased participation. [IND, CLB, O2C, LGE, EVT]
○ Opportunity for coaching from Referee Board at NTS/Touch Nationals [IND-Referee]
○ Opportunity to attend England Touch Camps and shadow others [IND-Referee, IND-Coach, IND-Medical]
○ Opportunity to host one of the National Development Touch Series events (subject to criteria and decision by England Touch) [CLB]
○ Opportunity to hold one-off club days / inter-club / other tournaments, with the support of England Touch [CLB]
○ FIT and EFT affiliation, including indirect benefits such as referee panels to improve our top referees and referee coaches, courses for coaches and coaching presenters [IND, CLB, O2C, LGE, EVT]
• Governance support [IND, CLB, O2C, LGE, EVT]
○ Access to a shared a national disciplinary network and standards ensuring that all players are dealt with consistently and fairly and that affiliates and participants are protected from disruptive players nationwide
○ Access and compliance support on constitutions and running operations within boundaries of relevant regulations and laws, protection policies, disciplinary procedures, and a national code of conduct. Advice and support regarding safeguarding, equality, inclusion and judiciary matters.
• Access to discounts & subsides
○ Access to discounts offered by ETA’s partners (XBlades, SPORTTAPE, 2XU, etc.) [IND, CLB, O2C]
○ Free gym membership: Elite representatives are eligible for the FANS (Free Access to National Sports-people) scheme (dependant on location and available facilities) [IND]
○ Subsidy towards elite representation costs, including travel and accommodation [IND-Referee, IND-Coach, IND-Medical]
○ Subsidy towards European Touch referee (L3+) and ETA coaching (L2) courses [IND-Referee, IND-Coach]
○ Provision of official ETA kit for those delivering relevant courses and/or attending a prerequisite number of competitions (tbc) [IND-Referee, IND-Coach, IND-Medical]
○ ‘Economies of scale’ reductions – the larger the affiliation structure, the more attractive it becomes to investors. Affiliates can make themselves more attractive to sponsors through running ETA-affiliated events [CLB, O2C, LGE, EVT]
• Quality assurance
○ ETA structures and procedures provide quality assurance for affiliated operators. Players and referees can see at a glance that an event will warrant their participation [CLB, O2C, LGE, EVT]
○ The right to run touch activities (using the FIT rules) is restricted to affiliates only. The ETA will protect affiliates from having their competition undermined by ‘unaffiliated organisers’ who badge their activity as ‘Touch’ where it is fundamentally different to FIT rules. [CLB, O2C, LGE, EVT]
○ Access to ETA trained referees, coaches and medical staff. [IND, CLB, O2C, LGE, EVT]
○ Protection under the national constitution, by-laws and policies [IND, CLB, O2C, LGE]
Our membership scheme also brings direct benefits to England Touch, and we want to be transparent about these. Many of these also benefit our members in the form of a better resourced and more responsive national governing body with an improved ability to develop and nurture touch in England.
• Secure income stream
The England Touch Association is a not-for-profit association run for the benefit of its affiliated members. For many years the ETA operated on a ’hand to mouth’ basis, with affiliation income keeping the association afloat but not allowing it to notably grow or flourish. The ETA is still volunteer run with a limited income, but the current membership scheme serves as a sustainable income stream, allowing us a greater degree of budgetary planning with the potential to employ full- or part-time officers in the future, significantly increasing our capacity to develop the sport in England.
• Understanding and communicating with members
Understanding the profile of touch participation in England is key to England Touch’s success. By collecting and maintaining accurate data on our individual and institutional members we are better placed to support players, officials, and providers to find each other, appropriately tailor our support, ensure we are meeting best-practice standards of governance, attract potential funding, and work with other bodies to grow the sport.
• Appropriate insurance provision
Adequate and appropriate insurance cover for both providers and individuals is vital for all involved in the sport. With much-improved membership data we are better able to ensure we fully comply with insurance requirements, and benefit from competitively priced policies providing the most appropriate level of cover.
Individual and Club memberships are valid for one year from the date first taken out / renewed
Existing members will receive a renewal reminder email four weeks before their existing membership expires. You do not need to renew or re-register until this point
League and Event memberships are invoiced annually
Yes, your unique number will be provided in your welcome email
Yes, but if you want to enter national DTS tournaments you will need to register for Full Club membership. Your O2 Touch club membership only permits you to enter regional DTS tournaments.
We’d encourage you to as we think it’s worth it, but no, you do not strictly need Club membership. Please make sure you have adequate insurance in place as you and your players will not be covered under England Touch’s policy unless you are a member. Your players will not be able to participate in any ETA-run events, regional or national representative sides, and you won’t have access to any development resources or experience. We do not want anyone to operate in isolation and welcome everyone to join England Touch; we aim to keep the cost of affiliation as low as possible.
As the national governing body, England Touch has a role to promote, encourage, foster, develop and extend touch in England, under the Federation of International Touch (FIT) rules and guidelines. In order to do so effectively there needs to be agreed and maintained rules, standards and principles of operation. Through the membership and affiliation structure England Touch can control and administer the game across England to consistent standards. This is essential to the development of one unified sport. There are potentially many variations of touch that could exist; when individuals participate in an England Touch affiliated competition they know that it will be operated under FIT rules and the sport will be the same.
England Touch provides a range of activities and services for local venues, including referee training, coaching courses, insurance, promotion, and technical advice. England Touch also organises national and regional touch competitions, and runs regional and national representative teams. Affiliation gives participants in your competition access to all of these. Individuals with England Touch membership benefit from playing in affiliated competitions and are prohibited by FIT rules from participating in competitions that are not affiliated to the relevant national governing body.
Affiliation gives leagues voting rights within England Touch and an opportunity to have their say in how England Touch is run and what it does to progress the development of the sport. England Touch is run on an entirely voluntary basis and all volunteers are touch participants and operators who want to develop the sport. There are many opportunities to get involved.
The widespread development of touch in England is England Touch’s driving objective. However, this isn’t possible without some level of administration to ensure playing and refereeing standards and application of FIT rules are consistent across affiliated competitions. A national governing body is required to ensure agreed rules and standards, national development of the sport, national competitions, and international representation. England Touch fulfils this role.
Membership and affiliation fees predominantly pay for England Touch’s affiliation to the Federation of International Touch (FIT) – the world governing body, and our insurance costs. England Touch is a key member of the international touch community and FIT affiliation includes indirect benefits including referee panels to improve our top referees and courses for coaches and coaching presenters. These costs account for over 70% of membership revenue. The remainder is used to cover the costs associated with administering and developing the sport.
Each section of the ETA has its own budget and plans for the future. The remaining income from membership is spent on:
• Developing and upskilling players, coaches, referees, and clubs
• Investing in youth development
• Good governance, working with the Sport and Recreation Alliance
• Marketing, promotion and website upgrades
• Professional fees
• European Federation of Touch (EFT) affiliation: a requirement for England Touch to be recognised by the FIT regional federation in Europe. EFT affiliation funds the expansion of touch across Europe, leading to more opportunities for participant members
We are always looking for funding opportunities to minimise costs to members, but we currently receive zero capital funding from any source. This is why we need to charge a modest fee for affiliation.
We are always looking for funding opportunities to minimise costs to members, but we currently receive zero capital funding from any source. This is why we need to charge a modest fee for affiliation.
No. Affiliation is for the development of the game throughout England and is not used to fund the national (elite) teams. England Touch manages and develops the national representative teams but also the as the sport as a whole in England. The elite teams benefit from some kit and team sponsorships but there is no funding of elite touch through membership costs.
Yes, all affiliated members have full access to the statutory accounts of England Touch.
All members of England Touch. Insurance provides Public Liability and Professional Indemnity cover up to £5 million. Public Liability insurance covers you for third party injury or damage to property. Professional Indemnity insurance protects you from legal action following advice given.
England Touch Association, ETA Board Members and Directors, ETA Coaches and Officials, and members of England Touch paying a membership fee. These members include individuals (Player, Coach, Referee, Medical, Combined, and One-off categories), Clubs, Leagues, and Events resident or domiciled in the United Kingdom. Individuals with Overseas membership and Clubs with only O2 Touch Club membership are excluded. Individuals with Coach and/or Referee and/or Medical memberships are only covered if they have an England Touch recognised qualification.
a) Public Liability
b) Professional Indemnity
c) Notable Exclusions and Limitations
d) Sum Insured
Yes, Individual and Full Club members have the option of adding personal accident, loss of earnings, and equipment cover when they take out their membership.
Yes, the policy schedule is sent to Individuals and Clubs when taking out membership. This contains the details of your cover including any additional cover you opt for. Policy wording is available for policies taken out or renewed:
For One-off Individual, School/University Club, League, and Event membership where your transaction is not directly processed by England Touch’s insurance broker, the policy wording and terms are identical to those at the above links, but your cover is restricted to the core Public Liability and Professional Indemnity cover without the optional extensions.
For one year from the date you take out your membership. You do not need to take out a new policy at the start of each calendar year.
We are going on international tour, will we be covered?
Public Liability and Professional Indemnity cover is worldwide (this includes the US provided visits are for not more than 90 days), but claims must be brought against the Insured within the United Kingdom. Optional extensions to cover including Personal Accident insurance can be taken for the United Kingdom or worldwide.
No, indemnity applies irrespective of the age of the insured.
Under the Personal Accident cover, which is an optional extra, reduced benefits apply for persons aged under 18 for accidental death and reduced benefits may be applicable for permanent disablement, medical expenses, physiotherapy and loss of income.
Could a 16 year old play in a senior category because there is no junior section at the club?
Yes, cover applies irrespective of the differing ages of the participants.
Yes. Where non-members / temporary players participate on a one-off basis they will be covered, however if non-members are participating on a regular basis they will require the insurance cover.
For one-off events/training where non-members of your club participate they will be covered. However, if people are participating in your activities on a regular basis they will need to be a member of your club, for which you collect the fee, to be covered under your club’s policy.
If you select Personal Accident cover and pay the additional premium you can add this cover to your membership.
Yes coaches, referees, and medical personnel are covered under the Individual-Coach, Individual-Referee, and Individual-Medical membership options provided that they hold a refereeing/coaching/medical qualification, respectively, as recognised by England Touch. If this warranty is not complied with, the policy coverage will not be valid.
Unfortunately not. If they do not hold England Touch recognised qualifications they are not insured to coach or referee at your club or elsewhere. We recommend booking onto a relevant course as soon as possible. Upcoming courses can be found at the below links:
All O2 Touch Centres, and all O2 Touch activities at RFU clubs, are covered independently under the RFU’s insurance. Please contact the RFU for details. If O2 Touch Centres wish to benefit from England Touch’s insurance they will need to take out Full Club membership with England Touch.
I want to extend my policy to include additional add-ons or worldwide cover…
How do I do this?
If you have an existing Individual or Club membership please call Insure4Sport on 0800 158 5530 with your existing membership number to hand. You do not need to duplicate your policy or pay the full amount again.
Yes. Individual and Club members should call Insure4Sport on 0800 158 5530 with your existing membership number to update your details. Members with other categories of England Touch membership should contact email@example.com
Payments / Renewals:
For Individual and Full Club memberships, Insure4Sport will take annual payments for your membership fee and insurance; this is the name that will appear on your bank/credit card or direct debit statement. For other categories of membership, please see the England Touch website for payment details.
Individual and Full Club members will receive automated reminder emails four weeks before your renewal date. Payment will be collected automatically unless your payment details have expired, in which case you will receive further renewal reminders and instructions.